Saturday, December 26, 2009

Dianna Update - 12/26/09

Let me start off with some really happy news! On Christmas we get to talk on the phone! What we have to do is have you call me though because I'm not allowed to have the church pay for the long distance phone call. I also hope that you are free at the time I'm scheduled to have phone time. My companions and I have special permission to use the mission office for phone calls because there are 3 of us and they have 3 lines. The problem is that we have to wait for you to call us because we can't call out. We will be at the office just before 3pm so you can call us at 3. I think that's noon for you. I'll be waiting, and there isn't caller ID so one of my companions may answer the phone, but I'll be right nearby. I'm excited!

This week has been quite the adventure. On Friday my companions and I got in a little spat and had to work things out, it's not easy being in a trio, but I love them both very much. All is well now though, no worries. :)

The other day we ended up getting a flat tire and it was really fun to fix that in the snow... Luckily we are near Elders who were willing to come help us. We stood outside for over an hour while they played with it. We felt bad so we went into Tim Horton's (same as Starbuck's) and bought them Hot Chocolate. They never got it off so we went and knocked on the nearest door and the man that lived there came to the rescue. It was a good thing that we had him there because he had better tools than us, plus his 2 little kids came out to help, SO CUTE!

We had the strangest/happiest phone call the other day. His story is a little long to write, I'll try to remember to tell you about him during our phone call. His name is Gary. I'll also have to explain Robert, our land-lord, to you. That's a good story.

This Sunday we decided to contact former investigators in our Area book. We went to this one house where it says Naur, a Muslim man, lived. When we got there they said no Naur lived there but they welcomed us in in a matter of seconds. They brought us upstairs and we met the family (at least who was home). It is 2 parents, Mohammed and Helenah, and their 6 kids; Salam, Sumaya, Boshra, Yousef, Ibrahim, and Zahraa. I'm pretty sure I spelled them right, don't ask me to spell the last name, it's not going to happen. It's quite the coincidence because this family is also Muslim. They stopped their night and talked with us for over an hour, it was amazing. The dad is really talkative and loves to explain his faith, and compare it with ours. We met again with them yesterday and Sumaya who is about 16 had read the first 2 chapters of the book of Mormon and was asking some really7 great questions. We also watched the Restoration with them and she also asked questions about it. She seems the most interested out of all of them. They were so great! They even fed us. What wasn't so great was that Mohammed is SOOOOO talkative that we ended up sitting there an hour before we got a word in and ended up staying almost 3 hours!! I'm excited for them.

Also on Sunday, after church, our branch went caroling to this house of a boy and his mom. The boy was in a car accident when he was 2 years old. He's now 17 but his mental and physical development is delayed. We sang a couple hymns and then we sang the Barney song with him because that's his favorite show. We also gave him a stuffed Barney. He was SOOOOOOOOOOO happy and his mom started crying while we sang. It was very nice to be there. People in Atlantic Canada are the nicest in the world, I'm thoroughly convinced.

I can't wait to talk to you on Christmas. I hope the time works out okay for you. If not, I don't know...just don't forget!

Love you!
Sister Dianna Nicholls

No comments:

Post a Comment